We always seem to have old bananas in the house, and I always seem to constantly be buying Bananas. I don’t know how many the kids actually eat, but sometimes we’re out and sometimes they’re sitting there ageing.
I don’t mind older bananas. I like to peel and freeze them for smoothies or a quick after school ice-cream for Noah. I used to make this fantastic Banana, Choc Chip and Yoghurt Cake but since dairy has decided it doesn’t want to agree with me I am yet to find a good alternative for the yoghurt in that cake. Maybe coconut cream…?
Now, I’m one for experimenting a little with food. I love to see how different flavours compliment (or clash!) each other. I wanted a moist banana bread but with a twist. So I added some Turmeric.
I’ve been reading a lot lately on how Turmeric is so great for our bodies, it’s full of anti-inflammatory properties and can help with loads of issues, so I’ve been wanting to find other ways of incorporating it into our food. Because of this, my bread was so bright and yellow I just had to call it my Sunshine Banana Bread.
It has a mellow Turmeric taste that is levelled out by the sweetness from the bananas and honey. It’s dense and moist and really really yummy. I made mine in my Thermomix but you could easily mix all the ingredients by hand before baking. For the allergy aware, this recipe is Grain, Gluten, Dairy and Nut Free as well.
Thermomix Sunshine Banana Bread
- 5 Ripe Bananas (the riper the better!)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 40g Honey
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 80g Coconut Flour
- 100 Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat your oven to 150C, grease a Bread Tin and set aside.
- Into the Thermomix Mixing Bowl add the Bananas, eggs, vanilla, honey and coconut oil and mix together for 30 Seconds / Speed 4.
- Add the Turmeric, Coconut Flour and baking powder and mix for another 30 Seconds / Speed 4 or until there are no lumps.
- Pour mixture into the greased bread tin, cover with alfoil to stop the top from burning (if your tin has a lid, put that in place) and bake for 1 hour.
- Wait until the bread has cooled a little before slicing. Slather with butter/nut butter/avocado and enjoy!