If you’ve ever read my other blog The Strands Of Me, you’ll know the story behind this kitchen staple. I’ve always got a jar in the fridge and I swear it goes with everything. Roast chicken, left over beef, fish, and just deeeeevine on roasted vegetables.
Some nights, if I don’t feel like cooking, I’ll just roast up a batch of whatever veggies I have in the fridge and smother them in this Capsicum Mayonnaise. It’s always heavenly, with the sweetness from the roasted capsicums, a small hit of garlic with it all swimming in the smooth mayonnaise. Once you’ve made it, I promise you’ll never go back to regular mayo.
Now, I don’t do anything special to make it. I sometimes take my eggs straight from the fridge, sometimes they’ve been left out and are not as cold. I use store bought Free Range Eggs and have no idea how fresh they are. I always use a Light Tasting Olive Oil (no nasty vegetable oils please) and I believe the trick to making mayo is all to do with the oil and how you pour it into the base. Here’s my method:
Thermomix Capsicum Mayonnaise
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, Separated
- 1 egg yolk, Extra
- 250 gram Olive Oil.
- Cut the capsicum up, discarding the seeds and grill until the skin turns black. Pop into a snap lock bag (or your ThermoServer) when done until cool then carefully peel the skin off and discard, keeping the flesh.
- Add the capsicum flesh into your Thermomix mixing bowl (or food processor) and add the garlic, mustard, lemon juice, both egg yolks and season with salt and pepper before blending together for 30 Seconds / Speed 3.
- Insert Butterfly. With the motor running on Speed 3 start pouring the olive oil in, a few drops at a time. After one minute you can continue with a small steady stream with the motor still running. Continue until all the oil is used – this usually takes around 3 minutes.
- For a thicker whole egg mayonnaise, add one egg white after all the oil is in and continue processing for another 15 seconds.